Thursday, August 11, 2011

Things 10 & 11 cdp23

Librarianship:
I'm not a real librarian, yet. Someday. Maybe. My path to Nebraska Learns 2.0 started in 2005 when I realized that my days as a WaldenWoman were numbered. I knew I would need to start training for a new career and Librarianship was where I thought I could use my skills and experience. So I started with Basic Skills, attending workshops and volunteering at the Public Library. In January 2010, after 31 years of working at Waldenbooks (most of them as manager) I turned out the lights and handed over the keys. There were no job openings at the library at the time so, I started looking elsewhere. I was extremely lucky to find a job w/insurance. I still volunteer, take online training & hope to work in the library someday.

Mentors & Mentoring:
I have been fortunate to have had many unofficial mentors in my life. From my 8th Grade English teacher, college professors & Gloria to the great librarians I have met in training and the ones I talk to every week. There's always something new to learn and the more I learn the less I know!

I have also been fortunate to unofficially mentor a few young people along the way. I just hope they won't hold it against me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment